Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Prepaid energy meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.. I'm doing a project on prepaid energy meter for my final year...
But i didnt get any idea about programming the EEPROM ... i need help for my project.. pls help .....
The details of project is given below...

Prepaid Energy Meter (AT89S52)
A scheme of Electricity billing system called "PREPAID ENERGY METER WITH TARIFF INDICATOR" can facilitate in improved cash flow management in energy utilities and can reduces problem associated with billing consumer living in isolated area and reduces deployment of manpower for taking meter readings.

Every consumer can buy a memory card (is nothing but an EEPROM IC) with a password stored inside it using a MC program.In our project we have given the name for memory card as smart card.

When the consumer insert a smart card into the card reader which is connected kit.Then the card reader will read the stored information and delete the information from the EEPROM IC(smart card) using the MC program. So that the smart card cannot be reused by others. Suppose if a consumer buy a card for Rs.50/- he / she can insert this amount through the card reader so that prepaid energy meter with tariff indicator kit will be activated. According to the power consumption the amount will be reduced. When the amount is over, the relay will automatically shutdown the whole system. In our project we also have a provision to give an alarm sound to consumer before the whole amount is reduced.

AT24C02 is the EEPROM used..

I'm attaching the circuit diagrams with this....

Attachments

• prepaid 1.gif
    prepaid 1.gif
    33.2 KB · Views: 791
  • prepaid 2.gif
    prepaid 2.gif
    37 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
I assume that you have the relay in a locked box so somebody can’t just wedge a matchstick into it to get free power. I also assume that you have your prepaid cards cryptographically encoded to protect from fraud. What about protection to keep the meter from being spoofed? What about off-peak and quantity discounts? Is this thing going to have a real-time clock? How are you going to ensure that any internal clock is going to remain accurate switching to/from DST?

It seems to me to be to be more practical to just teach the meter to report over the power line to headquarters with its current reading whenever it is polled by the billing office computer. Redundant security would be easier to implement and user action unnecessary.

You quote this for use for those living in isolated areas, well have you thought about those who actually live in remote areas, and how difficult it is for them to recharge their card.

To save a penny to the big power suppliers at the expense of the little guy is not a practical system.

What happens is the user can not get to town due to bad weather conditions, car problems, etc. for a recharge and the credit expires, the loss of power to basic needs could be life threatening, not to mention things like spoilt food from no fridge, loss of water.....etc,etc.

Sorry i dont agree with the cost cutting and the loss of jobs for basic people so the big can get richer.

I will not help you to program your eeprom for those reasons.

Pete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back