Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

precipitate in used ferric chloride

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyghost

hi,

i placed a bottle of used ferric chloride somewhere in a cabinet and after about 2 weeks, i noticed that there is a sludge-like matter below. do i have to remove that by filtration, or just let it stay with the mixture?

I alwas leave it there.
If you add a Small Amount of Hydrochloric Acid to the Ferric Chloride, you probably will not get this to precipitate to happen.

Gary

Ferric chloride precipitates out a solid (iron? copper chloride?) as it etches. If you do an inverted etch rather than agitating, it falls right off the panel to the bottom.

As it is a solid waste product, it might be slightly better to filter it out, but I think it's inert at this point so it shouldn't matter one way or another.

chemelec said:
I alwas leave it there.
If you add a Small Amount of Hydrochloric Acid to the Ferric Chloride, you probably will not get this to precipitate to happen.

Gary

how small would "small" be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back