Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Preamp Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigE4u

I plan on using an LM3914/LM3915 circuit as a LED vu meter for my PC and it will be connected to the "line out" from sound card. Can anyone suggest a good a transistorized or IC preamp that will suite my needs? Thanks

EDIT: I'd like to build something along the lines of this velleman kit... **broken link removed**

Attachments

• k4304.jpg
    k4304.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Use the LM3915 for a VU meter because its response is logarithmic like your hearing. The LM3914 is linear and so loud sounds will have the LEDs jammed together at the top and soft sounds will have the LEDs spread out too much at the bottom. The LM3915 also has a wider range of loudness indication.

The Velleman kit instructions are in your attachement and has the schematic of its "half-wave peak detector" and preamp which is similar to the circuit in the datasheet for the LM3915. Why don't you make it?

The schematic will not show for me, it keeps giving me an error...

BigE4u said:
The schematic will not show for me, it keeps giving me an error...
Re-install Adobe Acrobat program.

Here is the schematic:

EDIT: It uses an LM3916, not an LM3915.

Attachments

• VU Meter.PNG
    VU Meter.PNG
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,010
Last edited:
Wow, thats great, thanks...

Im sure i can substitute an LM3915 for the shown LM3916?

I like the LM3915 better than the LM3916 because the volume spacing steps are equal. The LM3916 has a range of only 23dB with the bottom space huge, and the LM3915 has a range of 30dB with equal steps.
The circuit is the same for both.

Thanks again for your help, im hoping to get these parts soon to get this started... oh, and i reinstalled adobe acrobat, i can now view all the schematics/pdf files for all the velleman kits.

Out of curiosity... can anyone offer a TRANSISTORIZED version of an audio preamp? thanks

BigE4u said:
Out of curiosity... can anyone offer a TRANSISTORIZED version of an audio preamp? thanks
Most simple FM transmitter circuits on the web have a transistor preamp.
Simple transistor preamps produce very high distortion if the gain and output level are high. An opamp circuit using a modern opamp is much better.

BigE4u said:

To amplify what?, and to feed what?, and how much gain?.

All these are VERY, VERY much simpler to achieve using an opamp rather than a transistor amplifier.

To amplify the LINE OUT output from a pci computer sound card... i was curious to see a transistorized version, not really important.

An audio preamp amplifies a low level signal like from a microphone, up to line level. You already have line level.
If you want to replace the opamp circuit in the Velleman kit with a transistorized version then forget it. It amplifies and it is a fairly complicated half-wave peak detector circuit.

Sorry for the bump, quick question out of curiosity... this is still going in a PC using the "line out" from the sound card, will this circuit shown work as well? thanks

Attachments

• peak_detector.gif
    peak_detector.gif
    5 KB · Views: 303
The simple peak detector circuit will replace the opamp peak detector circuit in the Velleman kit but it has no voltage gain. Many parts must be changed in the kit to use the simple peak detector circuit.

Ok, i see its somewhat more trouble than its worth to use the transistorized version for this particular project... thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back