Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pre-crimped wires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy a Crimper Tool and the Pins and do your own.

There are places that do this, But Large quantities are usuall required.

Take care..........Gary

Radio shack sells ( or did anyways ) both the tool , shells and pins. If memory serves, I think I paid about $15 Canadian for the tool. It produces 3 sizes of an open barrel crimp. Very useful tool, I would just buy one, way less money than getting premade wires.

I need a crimping tool for the molex 50394-8100 terminals. The one listed on their site is ~$180... Will any old crimping tool work? Do other manufactors make a crimping tool suitable for this connector?

I'll be doing about 700 crimps with this tool for the project at hand, but $180 is alot to ask. I may have to do some crimps on a different series later.

and that, my friends, is exactly why molex SUCKS.

My boss at work is always talking about that. They make a good chunk of their money on the crimping tools. and if you buy a tool in which the actual crimping part is simply a small die, and they make several different models for different pins, they usually will not sell you just replacement die, you have to buy each one as a full tool.

but anyway, look around, because other companies often make crimping tools that will work.

I'm not limited to this terminal or brand yet. I didn't realize that about molex. I'll hold off on buying the parts.

What I'm looking for is just a simple connector (male/female/terminal) in a brand that doesn't charge so much for the crimping tool.

I need something that looks like this:
molex #87049-1616
**broken link removed**
and molex #51110-1650
**broken link removed**

16 conductors, ~.075 spacing

What are some good brands, possibly part numbers?

Thanks

Not sure if this tool will do it, but it says it will do hi-density sub-D shell connectors, and they are close to what the molex pins are in size.

**broken link removed**

At least its cheaper at $42 US. If you are going to do several hundred terminals, forget the Radio Shack one. The thing about the "proper" tool is that they usually are cycle controlled crimpers, where the tool ratchets closed and must be closed to a settable point before it opens. This guarantees a repeatable, finished crimp everytime. It is also far easier on the hands, since you are only squeezing to the next step in the ratchet.

I have several AMP crimpers at the shop, and when I need to install three or four hundred terminals in one day, I always use a cycling crimper, and dont mind that I paid $200 for it, my hand thanks me too. The Radio Shack one I have is for terminals I rarely use, so it gets me by.

As an aside, AMP at one point would not even sell one of their automated terminal installing machines. You had to lease it, and not for cheap either, but rated on the volume of terminals you were going to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back