Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pre Amp - Modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it power amp volume or loudness volume?I see 4 pins in the volume..!!
"loudness" change the tone balance as the volume control is turned up. below the tap on the volume control, bass and treble are boosted because at low volume the ear's response to bass and treble aren't as good as at midrange frequencies.. there is somewhat of a "standard" loudness contour, but the reason most high end systems either don't have a loudness switch or a loudness control (some high end preamps do have a loudness control) is that the filters used to do the loudness compensation often add unwanted phase shifts to the audio, especiall y between about 3khz and 20khz. a good explanation of loudness compensation is https://diyaudioprojects.com/mirror/members.aol.com/sbench/freqres3.html

I think TI invented the TL08x opamp with Jfet inputs but found a wide variation in noise and distortion so they "selected" the low noise and low distortion ones and called them TL07x. Many hifi manufacturers and I have always used only TL07x ones.

Although they both have the same minimum gain, the TL07x has a slightly lower typical gain but maybe that is why its distortion is much less than the TL08x.
Their test conditions are different. The conditions for the TL07x were selected for better numbers.

the loudness compensation often add unwanted phase shifts to the audio, especiall y between about 3khz and 20khz
Unwanted is not the same as undesirable.
My understanding is that the ear is not sensitive to phase (or are you referring to the proverbial golden ear).

I odnt think the o/p is building really expensive gear.
A long time ago I had a walkman style cassette playey, it had dynamic bass boost, occaisionally you heard the bass distort then the bass boost cut back, I like it as you could mess with the volume to get loud sound without distortion.
I googled it but couldnt find an example, but I dare say there will be some out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back