Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Practical problem with Mosfet Theory!

Status
Not open for further replies.

montner

How can voltage be seen through a mosfet? I have a backplane board with the following circuit, the mosfet is pulsed by the main circuit board operating the electromagnetic counters. The counters are not needed anymore and need to be eliminated. When they are removed I get an error message saying they are missing. So the main board is sensing their presence. I need to fool the board into thinking they are there.

Mosfet.jpg
View attachment f7341 Datasheet.pdf

My theory is that 12V is sitting at the "static" mosfet when the electromagnetic coil is present. This is creating a high state on the gate across the silicon dioxide (like a capacitor) which is sensed by the board. Once the board has determined the presence of the counter coil, it pulses "with a higher voltage"the mosfet to activate the counter.

My solution (I am guessing here) is to remove the coil and mosfet and istall a capacitor and a diode to simulate the coil being present, as follows.

Mosfet2.jpg

Please somebody tell me if this even close or if I am way off!

Others with more experience might disagree, but in my experience it is extremely difficult to detect load by looking at the gate of a MOSFET. If you are sure that the circuit isn't detecting the counters some other way, try using a simple resistor instead of the coil.

If you try a capacitor instead of the gate, leave the diode off, or put a resistor in parallel with the capacitor to discharge it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back