Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Powering router off SLA battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_11

Hello, i am currently working on a wireless rover project.
I am in the process of powering an on board router rated at 12v 1A from a 7.2Ah SLA 12v battery.

My question, do i need a fuse in between the battery and router in case of any power spikes? or,
Will the router only draw what it needs and i can hardwire the positive and negative terminals directly to the battery.

Additional information:
The battery is also powering a 5V 2A camera through a 5V regulator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou,
Chris

Fuses don't protect against spikes. Batteries don't makes spikes. Fuses protect against fire if the battery is shorted due to equipment malfunction or human error...

So i can just hard wire it to the battery and shouldn't cause any problems??

No, read what Mike actually said:

Fuses don't protect against spikes. Batteries don't makes spikes. Fuses protect against fire if the battery is shorted due to equipment malfunction or human error...

If the battery is shorted due to a problem with the router you will see smoke and possibly fire. Therefore if the router is not internally fused it would be very wise to fuse it based on it's normal current draw.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back