Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Powering leds from low power source

Status
Not open for further replies.

diogoribeiro

Hello,
I'm developing a project to use on my daily drive car and I came up with a problem concerning the use of some LEDs. Thing is, I have a LPG switch with embedded lights to inform me about the amount of gas remaining. I'm thinking of adding a couple of led (3 green LEDs and 1 RGB) to show me that levels on the odometer. The original switch already provides those LEDs but they are SMD and I can't use them on the odometer. What I'm thinking off is soldering two wires in parallel with the LEDs ( on the switch ) and connect them to an auxiliary circuit that helps me powering up 3 or 5mm LEDs glued to the odometer . My idea is to use the standard 12v used on almost all car circuits and use a voltage regulator (to 5v maybe) and a couple of relays . This way, when the LEDs on the switch light up, i'll have a high level voltage on the relay and it will provide a path for the 5v to light up the 3 or 5mm LEDs . Is this a good apProach or can i use another one?
Thanks,
Diogo Ribeiro

My barbeque burns expensive propane gas (LPG?) and my car runs on inexpensive and readily available gasoline.
My government doesn't tax gasoline to death (yet) like in many countries.

Diogo,

When you look inside the LPG controller, can you see a resistor (likely also a smd chip resistor) in-series with each smd LEDs?

If so, then the solution is very simple. Write back with the answer to my question, and I will suggest how to add external LEDs.

Last edited:
My barbeque burns expensive propane gas (LPG?) and my car runs on inexpensive and readily available gasoline.
My government doesn't tax gasoline to death (yet) like in many countries.

Where i live LPG costs nearly a half of the gasoline. If there wasnt this "small" inconvenient i would run the car on gasoline.

Diogo,

When you look inside the LPG controller, can you see a resistor (likely also a smd chip resistor) in-series with each smd LEDs?

If so, then the solution is very simple. Write back with the answer to my question, and I will suggest how to add external LEDs.

I looked at the LPG controller and i can confirm that exists a resistor for each led. I have 4 normal leds and one RGB led. I did a conductivity test and measured the resistors and i have 3 leds + the rgb led with 561 ohms resistors and one led with 331 ohms. I guess the last one uses a lower value because when the gas is on reserve the led blinks. Btw, i've attached a picture of the controller in case it might help.
View attachment 66904

Last edited:
Good data.

Look at the attachment for the basic idea, which is to parallel an external current limiting resistor/LED combination with the internal one. The order of resistor/LED or LED/resistor doesn't matter. Note that by connecting the wires across the internal resistor/LED, it is possible to connect an external resistor/LED as shown. I would use ultra-bright LEDs, and pick the external resistor so the external LED current is 2 to 5mA. I have found that ultra-bright LEDs are bright enough to use as indicators with just a mA or two. I'm sure that the internal circuitry can drive a few additional mA.

Another refinement is to minimize the number of wires going forward by studying the valve circuit to determine if the LEDS are being driven common-anode or common-cathode. Likely they are being driven by a chip which either sinks current (common anode) or sources current (common cathode). If you can figure out which, that will reduce the number of wires by almost half...

Attachments

• Leds.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 6
  • Leds.jpg
    Leds.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Hi!
Thanks for your solution! I did a conductivity test and yes, the leds are connected to the same ground !
To calculate the resistor to use it would be better to measure the voltage and calculate it based on the readings, right?
Thanks, Diogo Ribeiro

Yes. You could also just make the external resistor equal to or a bit higher than the corresponding internal one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back