Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

powering IC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Doggy

if i have two ic's that are rated 3-5V does that mean i can wire 2 of them in series to 9V supply?

also what if i have a 3V IC and a 6V IC , would that wire to a 9V supply?

I have never actually tried it, so I don't know if it can be done. With that said, I have never, ever seen it done this way; I would advise against it (unless you are just experimenting) - there's probably a good reason for not doing it (likely noise immunity or power fluctuations in one chip causing the other to reset or something).

Generally you cannot put ICs in series. Putting them in series will force them to take the same current. ICs tend to be complicated and the current that they take will vary. If one IC wants to take more current than the other, there will be a big voltage imbalance.

With a clever regulator circuit, you could run two 3 - 5 V devices from a 9 V supply to save current. However, the design of the regulator circuit, and how much current it would save, depends on what ICs you are running.

With a clever regulator circuit, you could run two 3 - 5 V devices from a 9 V supply to save current. However, the design of the regulator circuit, and how much current it would save, depends on what ICs you are running.

Now let's see you connect an output from the first IC to an input of the second. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back