Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Powering a guitar amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambient

My brother is just starting to get into electronics and I was thinking of project ideas for us to try together. His friend recently cranked up my brothers rather expensive guitar amp and toasted it somehow. Probably used the wrong input, cause that is something this retard would do. Anyway, if we were to attempt to build a new basic amp or fix his present one, what voltage rating will we need on the power supply?

I am guessing maybe a DC +-48V would do the trick? It needs to be reasonably loud and we will probably use a 8 or 10 inch woofer with some smaller high frequency speakers. I have no idea what voltage is reasonable. I know to use the Peak wattage of the speaker to determine how much current will be required, I just do not know about the voltages. Thanks for the help.

I also plan on making the amp modular to add distortion and other features at some point. Probably using a Microcontroller. Any suggestions about that?

Hi, that depends on what power output do u need and what ar u using for the power amplification. So give more details about that.
About modular building... i dont think u need uctrler... u could just as well make a fx send/return loop before the power amp and ur done.

Don't just pick voltage numbers out of the air, calculate them.

100W RMS is 200W peak power. It is a sine-wave of 80V peak-to-peak into an 8 ohm speaker. An ordinary transistor amplifier would need a power supply of about +/-45VDC to do it. If the power supply is +/-48V then the RMS power to an 8 ohm speaker is 115W from an ordinary transistor amplifier.

A 20W amplifier needs a power supply with about +/-20VDC.

A 1kW amplifier needs a power supply with about +/-132VDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back