Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Powercell/myGrid charging Android 7" Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthRT

I am looking at the idea of installing a reciever on an Android tablet so that i can lay it down in order to charge it up :)

I am looking at this tablet here **broken link removed**.

According to the sheet information for that tablet it uses a 3000mA/7.4V high cap rechargable battery.

The Adapter is a DC/9V 1.5A.

Since the powercell has receivers for mostly cell phones, i take it their max volts output is ~5v? But i also noticed that the powermat mat itself is 18v.

Is there anyway to use the receiver on the tablet since the tablet takes 7.4v and the receiver is ~5v (guessing)?

Update
I just found another Android tablet that may end up working better: **broken link removed**

The specs on that one is:

Battery capacity: 3000mHA
Input power: Input 5V 2A

Maybe that will work without the need of modifying anything???

David

Last edited:
Except I doubt you'll get 2 amps out of it, it may work but it'll take quiet a long time to charge the battery, or it may refuse to work because it can't get the current it wants, you'd have to actually try the device out to see, but matching the voltage at least is a good start. I know my phone will charge from any five volt source, the amount of current it will charge at is limited by the charger itself.

Personally wires aren't all that much of a hassle for my phone, and you're still chained to the physical location of the pad which is actually worse than a wired connection where you could give yourself a little bit of stretch room to use the pad while still charging it where you can't do that with the wireless power. You might want to think of the practicality of it rather than the 'cool factor' of a wireless charger, which only meets a need for people so thoughtless or lazy that they can't be bothered to plug something in. If you can remember to place it on the pad you can remember to plug it in.

Thanks for the reply there, Sceadwian :)

I guess i will have to just try it out and see if it works if i dont get any more feedback on my forum question here.

David

I would guess that the COIL SIZE in the device to be charged, determines the voltage.

It is a transformer after all.

The mat is the primary, and the secondary is in the phone wrap.

There's likely some kind of regulation/protection circuitry involved as well though.

Dunno. Most devices it would work with has charging circuitry built into them.

There is likely a teardown blog or video online somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back