Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power toggle using tact switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultra242

hello all.

i'm new to the community and i hope to become a contributing member as i learn more about electronics. i'm currently in my first year of EE and also am a hobbyist.

i have been looking for a certain schematic and i'm hoping to find it here. i'd like to use a tactile switch as a power toggle. the tact switch should held for 1/2 to 1 second before toggling the power. the power supply is 9v (needs to output 9v) and i'm drawing about 1A in the circuit.

does anybody have a ready made schematic for this by chance? i'm new enough that i can't make a schematic based on part recommendations, so i'm looking for something specific. thanks!

drew

ultra242 said:
hello all.
i have been looking for a certain schematic and i'm hoping to find it here. i'd like to use a tactile switch as a power toggle. the tact switch should held for 1/2 to 1 second before toggling the power. the power supply is 9v (needs to output 9v) and i'm drawing about 1A in the circuit.
drew
So you want a 1/2 to 1 second delay to energize power after depressing the switch. Then you want the power to stay on.
Do you want depress the switch again to turn the power off?

The attached schematic should do the job. With the 10M resistor and the 3.3uF capacitor on pins 67 of the timer the time is about 40 seconds. I suggest a cmos version of the 555 so you can use a larger value of capacitor and hence a lower value of capacitor. I have found with the 555 too large of timing capacitor has excess leakage current and the timing could be off.
The IRF9530 is a pchannel MOSFET.
The 100k and 0.1uf capacitor connected to pin 2 of the 555 prevents the delay starting with applying power. The 0.1uf capacitor and the 100k resistor connected to pin 8 of the F/F prevents the load from being connected also when the power is connected.
The 2N3904 inverts the 555 timer output to drive the F/F

Attachments

• PWR on delay.GIF
    PWR on delay.GIF
    17.2 KB · Views: 529
ultra242 said:
in fact i read that exact post. i didn't see anything with a delay on it.
The post by Krumlink has a delay. It would have to be altered to give a one second delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back