Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power to trigger a 555 monostable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddoria

ok, i am using an X10 remote power control box to trigger a circuit.

so basically, when the wall power is turned on, it needs to start my 2 second timer. I am using one of those power supplies that takes AC and converts it to 12v DC. so basically, i want to have this 12v from the converted wall AC be on for 2 seconds. how do i do this? won't it destroy my circuit if i just run the 12v to the 555 trigger? i understand how to put a transistor on the output of the 555 with the collector connected to 12v, but how do i trigger it?

thanks
david

12 volts is ok.
A simple trigger for a monastable looks like this:

For your aplication, remove the switch and replace it with a transistor.
The transistor is trigered by the same power that the control box Led is powered by.

Thats if you have a Led in your remote control box ,and If I am understanding your question.

Attachments

• triggar.gif
    triggar.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 546
Screech's circuit will work, but requires that you push a button. If you want the power on to automaticlly start the timer, replace the push button switch with a .01 uF capacitor.

Russlk said:
Screech's circuit will work, but requires that you push a button. If you want the power on to automaticlly start the timer, replace the push button switch with a .01 uF capacitor.
I didn't know that Russlk, I must try it out.
:D

Hi!

12V is ok with a LM/NE555 and maybe some others. Read the datasheet before testing. Somes, like the TLC555, can't take more than 5V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back