Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrow

Hi All

I am trying to build a power supply. My local electronics shop only sells a 9V 2A transformer. I plan to buy 3 of these (I need 6 Amps), and have my various parts of the circuit on the various power supplies.
I will tie all the grounds together, and will have 3 sets of rectifiers and 2200uF caps.

Can anyone please tell me if this is ok?

Thank you in advance.
a.

It would be better to find a 6amp transformer if you can, the supply regulation will be a lot better.
However if you are determined to go down this route, yes it will work if the transformers are identical, you have to beware of one transformer supplying more current than the other two and overheating.
Also, instead of using three 2200uf caps, you could use one 6800uF (?) cap if it is available.

Woahhh... I just re-read your post.
You are making three power supplies and connecting to 0v (-ve) side to a common point and using three separate +ve supplies. Yes that is no problem.
I had started to think you were making three power supplies to connect in parallel. This can work OK, but it is better not to.

JimB

Hi JimB

No I intend to split my circuit into 3 "zones". Each zone will then be connected via its own V regulator to the transofer+rectifier+2200uF cap.
This should be ok right?

The zones do not have to interact at all. Only the microcontroller will send logic signals to each zone.

Thank you
a.

OK, that sound fine.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back