Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhmedZafarKhan

I have designed a 5V ,350mA fixed power supply with a 12 Vrms step down transformer. the voltage across filtering capicitor should be almost peak value i.e 15V or 16V . but I am getting 12 volts across the capacitor why is it so. the supply is loaded.

Just like the other forum, not schematic, no useable answers.

Attachments

• IMG_20160218_214624.jpg
    IMG_20160218_214624.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 156
Very pretty, but it's not the schematic requested :(.

The cap voltage drops because the load draws current from it. It would be marvellous if that drop didn't happen: we could then just charge the cap once and have virtually free energy for life :).

Why does he have the American bald Eagle wrapped in the Pakistani flag? I am not American but probably not the best choice all things considered. Hi Ahmed no offense intended and welcome

Why do you think there should be 15V? The output of the transformer before you even factor in the diodes is only 12V? Although I cant see the schematic very well and its upside down!! Please dont make people download and twist stuff about to help you, there is a sticky on drawing schematics and if your going to do electronics you need to start learning how to draw schematics.

What is the current drawn by each of your three loads? Calculate each one and add them up.
What is the current rating for the transformer secondary?
Do you see a problem there?

ak

I notice that the little transformer has no power or current rating. Maybe it is overloaded.
If the mains is really 220V RMS and if the transformer is made by a company who know how to make a good transformer then it will have a 12V RMS sinewave when it has its rated load.
The peak voltage of 12VAC is 16.97V and the diodes in the bridge rectifier will reduce it to 14.97V. The 1 ohm resistor will reduce it to maybe 13.8V. Ripple because the capacitor does not have a very high capacitance might reduce the average output to 12.0VDC.
The Rl load draws 340mA. The zener diode has (12V - 5.1V)/15 ohms minus 340mA= 120mA and heats with 0.6W.
The 12V transformer should be rated at (16.97V X 340mA=) 5.77VA or (5.77VA/12V=) 481mA. Add 15mA of the red LED.

I notice that the little transformer has no power or current rating. Maybe it is overloaded.
If the mains is really 220V RMS and if the transformer is made by a company who know how to make a good transformer then it will have a 12V RMS sinewave when it has its rated load.
The peak voltage of 12VAC is 16.97V and the diodes in the bridge rectifier will reduce it to 14.97V. The 1 ohm resistor will reduce it to maybe 13.8V. Ripple because the capacitor does not have a very high capacitance might reduce the average output to 12.0VDC.
The Rl load draws 340mA. The zener diode has (12V - 5.1V)/15 ohms minus 340mA= 120mA and heats with 0.6W.
The 12V transformer should be rated at (16.97V X 340mA=) 5.77VA or (5.77VA/12V=) 481mA. Add 15mA of the red LED.
thakx

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back