Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

I want to make a simple LED project im sure it will use like 2A i was wondering instead of buying a 5v 2A supply can i parallel 2 5v 1A cellular chargers to provide the power needed?

Not in series but PARALLEL ...

I want to make a simple LED project im sure it will use like 2A i was wondering instead of buying a 5v 2A supply can i parallel 2 5v 1A cellular chargers to provide the power needed?

Not in series but PARALLEL ...

hi atom,
Whats the spec on the LED.? ie: forward voltage drop.?

Since you are hooking up many LEDs in a series-parallel connection, why not just split into two groups, where each is powered with it's own wall-wart?

It is not really a good idea. Suppose one puts out 5.0V, while the other puts out 5.1V. If you connect a 1.5A load to the paralled supplies, the second will try to put out the full 1.5A, while the first does nothing. If the supplies are "current-limited", then the second will put out the full 1A, while the first will supply the other 1/2A, while the voltage will settle to 5.0V.

Atom; I general it is not a good idea to combine power supplys, unless thay are carefully matched. Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back