Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply voltage for LM3914

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear All

The data sheet for the LM3914 display driver IC says supply voltage can be anything from 3v - 12v. Does this mean it would be ok to power the circuit from a 12v motorcycle battery?

I have tested it on a 3A bench power supply at 12v and it gets too hot to touch.

Thanks

Trevor

The supply voltage range is 3 - 25, so you can power the circuit from the battery. I remember that chip gets hot.
You can add a 7809 voltage regulator and some capacitors near the circuit (and not the battery).

Hi Eng1

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I did try a 7805 with a few caps and ran that off the 12v but then the 7805 gets extremely hot while the chip remains relatively cool.

If it's ok to run it directly off a 12v supply then I can cut down on a few components.

Trevor

eng1 said:
The supply voltage range is 3 - 25, so you can power the circuit from the battery. I remember that chip gets hot.
You can add a 7809 voltage regulator and some capacitors near the circuit (and not the battery).

Trevor Rymell said:
Hi Eng1

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I did try a 7805 with a few caps and ran that off the 12v but then the 7805 gets extremely hot while the chip remains relatively cool.
the 7805 may get hot because ur droping 7V across it , also depending on the current demand

The output transistors in an LM3914 act as the current-limiting resistors for the LEDs so of course it gets too hot if you have a high supply voltage for the LEDs, the LEDs programmed for about 20mA each and the IC set to the BAR mode where many LEDs can be on at the same time. The LED outputs have current-regulation so just calculate the value of a power rersistor to add in series with the LED supply to handle the heat.

I put a 10 ohm/1W resistor in series with the LED supply in my project:
https://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/motor_light/009/index.html

Attachments

• sound_level_indicator_003_974.jpg
    sound_level_indicator_003_974.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 506
LM3914

Audioguru,

Many thanks for the replies. I'm nearing completion of the fuel gauge project you helped me with some time ago and I'm just now trying to see what other functionality I can add while I'm at it.

One thing I'd like to have is a "low fuel" warning. The LM3914 has an alarm function where you can cause one LED out of the 10 and all those above it to flash when the appropriate input signal is applied.

Is there anyway to make this work the other way around ie the selected LED and all those below it to flash? Just an idea.

Thanks again.

By the way, very nice sound level projectand excellent write up. Very neat construction.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,
Thanks for the comments about my project.

The LM3914 and LM3915 don't light any LEDs at a low reading which would cause no voltage across a resistor feeding the LEDs, which can turn off a transistor which will make a low fuel alarm.

LM3914

Audioguru

Thanks so much. I should have thought of that. I was fixated on trying to turn something ON instead of OFF.

Many thanks for the assistance and patience.

Trevor

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back