Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power supply source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

Hi,

Have always used a traditional linear psu and 5v regulator on my Pic micro projects, but for a new one considering using one of the many smps units commonly available on ebay that power laptops etc.

Have seen a dual output one at 2A 5v and 2A 12v to drive a HDD etc.

Would seem ideal for my Pic project but just a bit sceptical, should I be using any extra filtering or protection on the 5v rail before connecting to the Pic.

The only thing I would check is the no load voltage. Some don't like to run with no or low load.

If you are using any low-level analog (sensors, Instrumentation amps, A/D) I would not be inclined to use a switcher...

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

My pic does have ADC inputs from both direct and op amp sources as well as digital sensors, so seems its preferable not to use a smps 5v rail.

Wondered if using a 12V dc smps line taken to a 5v regulator via a small choke and large cap would condition the line enough or would that still be prone to problems ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back