Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi all:

I have a 120VAC transformer with secondary 2 coils...
Individually the secondaries give 13VAC and 25.5VAC or so.

By joining each secondary I am able to get 38.5VAC which gives 51.7VDC after a FWB and 7500UF smoothing cap.

Ok...Now I want to make a lower voltage DC as well, so I run the 13VAC segment of the joined secondaries into another FWB and smoothing cap. This gives 17.7VDC. BUT the negatives from each FWB (circuit ground) have a potential difference of 11.7VDC!!

How can I get a common ground for each of the DC volts, 51.7VDC & 17.7VDC?

Use one end of the transformer grounded with the center and the other end of the transformer having a single rectifier.

Maybe I wasn't clear
untitled.JPG

You could do it with 2 FWBs but it will require another capacitor.
Maybe 2
The more I think about it the harder it seems to isolate the 2.

If it is a transformer where you can see the windings tied together, break the connection between them. Then you could add their DC voltages and have a common ground.

Last edited:
As BeerBelly suggests....
DualSupply.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back