Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply for tesla coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotonCrash

Hello, I was wondering if this https://www.katiludalys.lt/katilu-i...s-itampos-transformatorius-danfoss-ebi4-15kv/ transformer is good for powering up a tesla coil?
a.png

My first one was long, long ago using an iron core type neon transformer from a sigh shop. That was 15 KV 30 mA and my read is if you can find one they are the best choice. You can try one of the newer SMPS designs like you linked to but I have no idea what the results will be. I made my own capacitors using 12" X 12" panes of glass sandwiching copper foil about 10" X 10" in wood frames. My spark gap was just a few screw terminals and some tungsten rod ground to a point. This was early 60s and based on a Popular Electronics article called Big TC. Anyway I would likely look for an old neon iron core transformer rather than what you linked to but consider unlike the newer SMPS designs one mistake and you get across that sucker you can end up dead.

Try a forum search as I want to think over the years we have had some projects on Tesla coils in the High Voltage section.

Ron

As to output my guess is AC since there isn't much to it. It's a Danfoss unit suitable as an ignition source for oil and gas burners. All thet is visible is the EB14 of the part number less the suffix. This is what the EB14 series actually is. While they don't call out the output being AC I have never seen an ignition transformer output DC for its intended application. Note also the 15 KV versions come in 7.5KV ) 7.5KV so center tapped. Finally the schematics in this link lend to it being an iron core and not SMPS design. Note the single and CT output designs.

Will it work as a start to a Tesla coil? Looks good on paper. What bothers me is that it doesn't look heavy. My old 15 KV likely weighed 30 Lbs or about 15 Kg.

Ron

Note the "Duty cycle" rating - 33%, one minute maximum in each three minutes.

That may well be one of the reasons it's a lot smaller than a similar rating neon sign transformer, it's got to have cooldown time between uses to prevent it overheating.

Also only 60VA vs. 225VA for 15KV 30mA

Note the "Duty cycle" rating - 33%, one minute maximum in each three minutes.

That may well be one of the reasons it's a lot smaller than a similar rating neon sign transformer, it's got to have cooldown time between uses to prevent it overheating.

Also only 60VA vs. 225VA for 15KV 30mA
Never noticed the duty cycle part. Real good catch and would fit with it being an ignition transformer. Ignite a flame and its job is done. Not suitable for a Tesla application. Real nice point.

Ron

This would become a boat anchor if you try what you are expecting. This is a low-power DC 15kV supply.

You want to use a spark plug with a couple of transformers to create high arc voltages. Each transformer needs to be large to handle the primary current and likely a few hundred dollars worth or > 300W or have a huge array of PC film caps and diodes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back