Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply for DC motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmta

Hi all,

I need a variable power supply to control 2 H bridges which drive 2 DC motors. The max output current and voltage is 5A and 20V respectively. I have designed the following circuit based on Dave Jones's lab supply where the output voltage and current is set by filtered PWM signals.

What can I do to improve the stability and quality on this design? Can someone recommend a better power transistor for this as I find it a little hard to choose one. Your input will be most valuable.

Regards

Attachments

• upload.PDF
    48.2 KB · Views: 182
What can I do to improve the stability and quality on this design?
Why are Q2/Q3 there? They form a quasi-constant current load of ~17mA, but that is subject to drift because of the change of Q3's Vbe with temperature. If you really want a constant load current there would be better ways to do it.

You need to be careful driving motors with a supply like this. If you reverse the motor before it has stopped the generator action will raise the supply voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back