Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply ? for computer speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

About 3 years ago I bought a set of Gateway 2000 model ACS41 speakers that came with a 12v power supply. It does not say AC or DC but back side of speaker says DC.

A few weeks ago I found these same speakers $1 at a yard sale with no power supply. I find a lot of power supplies for these speakers on Ebay more are 19.5v some are 15v and some are 9v but I have not yet found a 12v power supply. I asked all the ebay sellers if the voltage they have listed is correct and they all said yes.

**broken link removed**

I took the speaker apart. Across the power supply is a 200uf 25v capacitor. There are no diodes and not bridge rectifier inside the speaker so diodes must be inside the power supply. My meter gives me an AC and DC reading from the power supply. Most of the capacitors on the PC board are 50v, there is 1 cap that is 100v, and about 30% of the caps are 16v.

**broken link removed**

I have done Google search and I keep finding 19.5v, 15v and sometimes a 9v power supply for these speakers. I need a power supply for these speakers so far I have not found a 12v 1250ma power supply. I am not 100% sure the power supply I have for my first set of speakers is the correct power supply but they work good on 12v. It makes no sense that the exact same model speakers would have 3 different voltage power supplies.

**broken link removed**

My power supply is 12v 1250ma I have no clue if the voltage or current are correct. I did a search for manufacture specs and found nothing. I dont want to burn up the second set of speakers using the wrong voltage.

The other problem is the power supply plug, how are these sized there seems to be 100s of different diameters, lengths, and center hole diameters?

Saturday I found a 12v 200ma yard sale power supply with the correct plug. 200ma will be over loaded if speakers really needs 1250ma so I did not buy it.

I need a way to determine the correct voltage and current for these speakers?

Last edited:
If the lowest cap rating is 16V then a 12VDC supply would be safe and you know it works ok. Any 12VDC supply capable of supplying at least 1250mA will do.

I found **broken link removed** which led me to this.

At $15.00 it may be worth a punt?

It looks like it may be a 15V supply?

Contact T Power USA and see if they can help?

My oldest Son has these exact same speakers he lives 1860 miles from me. I ask him what is the voltage and current on his power supply. His answer, 15vdc 800ma. Same model number ACS41.

My Son has had his speakers longer than me. He told me to buy my these speakers because of the vol, base, treb controls, sound is very good and plenty loud. Now I have proof power supply needs to me no larger than 800 ma and voltage can be 12v or 15v.

This has turned into a very interesting investigation. Why are these speakers running on so many different voltages?

Last edited:
Why are these speakers running on so many different voltages?
Maybe because that was the PSU that was cheapest from the supplier at the time.
Or, they used 12v and had complaints that there was not much output.
Or, they used 15v and had complaints that the things kept blowing up.
Who knows?

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back