Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply for camera enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

robey

I am powering 3 devices in an outdoor camera enclosure and I would like to be able to switch between 12vdc or 24vac power without a problem- I am not a EE and am not sure that I am using the best/proper electronic components.

Devices I am powering:
24vac 20watt heater
5vdc 2.5 amp router
12-48 vdc or ac .5 amp camera.

Here are the components I am presently imputing my power through for the camera and router: (in this seqence)
1. 1000L80 MOV Varistor for lightening protection,(is this ok?-1000 V RMS, 220 Joules, 4500 Watts Peak Current.)
2. a 4 amp 600volt bridge rectifier to convert ac power to dc and
3. a 330MFD/50V Radial Condensor.

For the 5vdc 2.5 amp router I add a PTK15-Q24-S5 dc/dc converter behind the condensor which accepts 9Vdc to 36Vdc input and converts to 5vdc.

The camera is added right after the Radial Condensor.

One challenge I need help on is powering the 24vac heater when using 12vdc.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Why don't you just use two 12V batteries in series for backup in case the power goes out. What is the "heater" for any way? It's going to be hard to run a 24W heater, along with the other stuff, for any length of time on a smaller 12V battery.

Why don't you just use two 12V batteries in series for backup in case the power goes out. What is the "heater" for any way? It's going to be hard to run a 24W heater, along with the other stuff, for any length of time on a smaller 12V battery.

It's just a big wirewound resistor, it's to prevent the lens or window misting up.

I will not always be using batteries- It will vary on application. When I have 110 power I convert to 24Vac- Batteries as you point out can be either 12 or 24vdc

The heater is for cold weather.

It's just a big wirewound resistor, it's to prevent the lens or window misting up.
That makes sense.
robey said:
The heater is for cold weather.
One option would be for the heater to turn off after a set time when running on batteries to conserve power. Or just use a 12V battery which would run the heater at 1/4 power when on battery. Is the heater on a thermostat?

The heater is on a thermostat and is wired for 24Vac- I am using a bridge rectifier to go from ac to dc so 24vac works fine.

Perhaps the bottom line is that the heater will not be used with 12vdc only
24vac.

Any comments on the other electronic components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back