Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply for 18V Brushless DC Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad_viju

I am not an electronics person, but very much interested in doing small projects myself. I wired an invertor cirtuit to convert 230V AC to 18 V DC for powering a 18V 350mA Brushless DC fan. When I switched on power supply, the fan just showed a jerk but did not start rotating. When I rotated manually by pushing the fan leaves with power on, it started working continuously. Again when I switched it off, allowed to stop rotation and switched on power suppy again, the same problem persisted. Then, I disconnected the fan from the circuit, switched on the circuit to allow charging of capacitors, then switched off power supply and again connected the fan to circuit, it started rotating by itself (eventhough external power was off), continuid rotation for some time till the capacitor got completely discharged. Can anybody help me to understand what went wrong?

hi,
I suspect your 18V 350mA PSU is unable to supply the starting current for the fan and has gone into current limit.

A motor requires as much as 5 to 10 times the 'running' current for a short period when starting up.
E

Based on your post I agree with Eric. A 350 mA fan can have a draw well exceeding 1 amp at start. While this is only momentary it is likely overloading your power supply. Everything in your post points to that being the problem.

Ron

The brushless motors on my radio controlled model airplanes frequently (but not always) start with a reverse pulse then begin turning in the correct direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back