Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply design

Status
Not open for further replies.

FusionITR

I want to incorporate a switching power supply that can supply 5V at around 5A in a project. I know how to make simple linear power supply but I have never designed a switching power supply that can supply high current.

What do I need to know (tutorials?) thats different from regular linear power supplies? Does the transformer current rating have to be equal or more than 5A to make a 5A regulated DC supply? I looked up some high current transformers and they are expensive, but I see switching power supplies on ebay selling for around 20 bucks, so am I missing something about the size of the transformered needed?

General information needed here.

Thanks.

FusionITR said:
I want to incorporate a switching power supply that can supply 5V at around 5A in a project. I know how to make simple linear power supply but I have never designed a switching power supply that can supply high current.

What do I need to know (tutorials?) thats different from regular linear power supplies? Does the transformer current rating have to be equal or more than 5A to make a 5A regulated DC supply? I looked up some high current transformers and they are expensive, but I see switching power supplies on ebay selling for around 20 bucks, so am I missing something about the size of the transformered needed?

General information needed here.

Thanks.
There are ICs specificaly manufactured for SMPS appln. it is better to use them if ur not intending to learn from scratch.

If you can spend some money you can use prefabricated block. "http://www.aimtec.ca/ame30.html" for example.

There are quite many firms making such devices.

With any power supply watts out = watts assuming 100% efficiency. One of the advantages of a switching power supply is you don't need a transformer to step the line voltage down to the needed voltage. But since you want 5V @ 5A the power out is still 25 watts. If you started with 25 volts the current requirement would be somewhere near 1A. I say somewhere as there is some ineffiency in the power supply. If you start at line voltage of 120V the current in is approximately = P/E or 25/120 or
about 0.2A.
One problem with switching power supplies over linear power supplies is that the switching power supply needs a minimum load. There are ways to overcome this also.
If you want line voltage isolation I would recommend using a higher voltage transformer(higher than normal for a 5V supply) and then a buck regulator. For example if you use a 24V secondary transformer the load current will be a little greater than 1A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back