Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkatsuki12

I would like to make a Power Supply with a specification of:
Variable (0-25 V DC)
w/ Course and Fine Adjustment
3A Max
w/ short Circuit protection(auto shut-off/current limiting)
Use Discrete Components

I'm quite a Newbie so I don't really even know where to start. Can you tell me a step by step procedure of how to make the circuit diagram, reasons behind its process and some points I need to consider while designing the Power Supply and share your circuit diagram.
Thanks.

Any reason why you want to use discretes, ic's will make the supply better simpler to build then a pure transistor design.
The LM723 still seems popular for enthusiats, allthough it is a dated chip.

Any reason why you want to use discretes, ic's will make the supply better simpler to build then a pure transistor design.
The LM723 still seems popular for enthusiats, allthough it is a dated chip.
My teacher demands me to use only discrete components.

Start with making sure of the specifications and how much money you want to spend.
For example there are parts available that make it pretty easy to go as low as 1.25 volts, but going to zero is more difficult.
Do you need 3 amps, or would 2 be enough. Same with voltage. Would 15 or 18 volts be high enough?

Start with making sure of the specifications and how much money you want to spend.
For example there are parts available that make it pretty easy to go as low as 1.25 volts, but going to zero is more difficult.
Do you need 3 amps, or would 2 be enough. Same with voltage. Would 15 or 18 volts be high enough?

Isn't this the specification he needed:
Variable (0-25 V DC)
w/ Course and Fine Adjustment
3A Max
w/ short Circuit protection(auto shut-off/current limiting)
Use Discrete Components

Is this just a design exercise or are you required to build a working power supply?
Clearly you will need 'feedback' to control current and voltage. Are you familiar with that concept?
Are you able to design a simple transistor amplifier stage for providing the feedback?

Is this just a design exercise or are you required to build a working power supply?
Clearly you will need 'feedback' to control current and voltage. Are you familiar with that concept?
Are you able to design a simple transistor amplifier stage for providing the feedback?
I am required to build it and sadly, i don't know that concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back