Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply design help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

markrod

Hi,
Im a newbie in designing electronic circuits. Im trying to design a power supply that can supply the following requirements - 3.6V and 2.0A.. Im using a an adaptor with a DC output of 7.5V and 1000mA. Im using LM350 (adjustable voltage regulator) to regulate the voltage of my power supply.

Am i correct to assume that the output of the LM350 is also 1000mA? If yes, how can i compensate to reach my 2.0A requirement?

Thanks!

markrod said:
Hi,
Im a newbie in designing electronic circuits. Im trying to design a power supply that can supply the following requirements - 3.6V and 2.0A.. Im using a an adaptor with a DC output of 7.5V and 1000mA. Im using LM350 (adjustable voltage regulator) to regulate the voltage of my power supply.

Am i correct to assume that the output of the LM350 is also 1000mA? If yes, how can i compensate to reach my 2.0A requirement?

You can't, none of your components are suitable - for a start you need at least a 2A adaptor.

You might also give more details of what you are trying to do?, often these vague questions are completely incorrect, and we're just wasting time replying!

im really sorry about the vague post.

im trying to design a power supply for a gsm module. supposedly the requirements for the module is 3.6V and a power supply that can supply current up to 3A.. (correction on my original post of 3.6V 2A requirement)...however, on the average the module uses up 880mA but under certain conditions the current it uses bursts up to 3A

I read that I can choose to supply the gsm module with a current less than the 3A maximum requirement, as long as i connect a capacitor in parallel to its power supply to compensate for the lack of current provided..

I was able to supply the required voltage using the lm350, im having problems with supplying the right current. or is the lm350 totally inappropriate for my design requirements?

try one of the many switching regulators, they are 90%+ effiecent (bother) and as such are very light on heatsinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back