Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply circurt will it work?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I suggested the inductor, I had no idea what the circuit was supplying. The inductor is of no advantage in this situation.

That's why you have to be told the whole story before you start.

colin55 Sorry for the confusion! I hope I am giving you all the necessary information now. It is hard to know what to share.

ronv Thought I was losing it. I must have installed a half dozen of this model. As I started to read your post I was thinking to myself, man if there is a way to adjust the current I sure don't know how.
The batteries I am operating on right now are deep cycle lead acid batteries, nothing special.
I have always used a rule of thumb for charging this type of battery as ≈5 to 13% of the C20 AH rating. My current bank is rather small with only about 200 AH so I think the charging rate of 25 amps is about right.
I have a DMM with the following accuracy:
0 to 600Ω Scale Resolution 0.1Ω ±(1.0% of rdg+2 digits)
Is the accurate enough for the measurement you are requesting? I am assuming you need the resistance of the secondary winding. As I remember, it had no measurable resistance. I will double check that tomorrow morning.

The resistance of the secondary will not tell you anything. It is the REGULATION provided by the transformer that will determine the current. This can only be determined by actually connecting the transformer and reading the current-flow.
If the regulator works on a wind generator then it must accept pulsed DC.

The simpest thing to do is get a 12v battery and connect it to the output of the bridge. Now get a 2 or 3 NiCd rechargeable cells and put them in parallel and add them to the 12v battery. You now have a (12.6v plus 1.2v) capacitor at many Farads to act an input for your controller.
This will fix your problem and you don't have to ask any more questions.
To make this clear colin55 is saying take 3 NiCd cells, wire them in parallel, and then connect them in series with the 12 volt battery.
Can you still buy 2 volt lead acid cells? If so I think it would be safer to put one of those in series with the 12 volt battery. I am not sure the NiCds could stand this sort of scenario. But then I don't know that much about NiCds.

Last edited:
Bulk Supply

I don't see anything in the spec. about any external power so I am going to assume the controller runs off of the source voltage. Perhaps 3 phase wind or solar.
Since there are some places we are not sure of lets shoot for 20 Amps. In which case the values below should work.
A dead lead acid battery will pop up to 12 volts at C10 so I used that for a target value. The caps need to be 50 volts (to get the ripple current required). Even so try to keep them in a cool spot. Maybe 5 or 6 cheap 25 watt resistors in parallel would work for the R. Your going to have a few $ in this, might be able to find a big charger for less.:p

Attachments

• bulk supply.PNG
    bulk supply.PNG
    84.7 KB · Views: 128
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back