Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

aang000

I have a half-wave circuit and a full-wave center tapped circuit, then i placed a 2200µF 25v capacitor as a filter.. i have an input voltage of 12VAC on both circuits then why is the output voltage increased and become 17VDC?:confused:

I have a half-wave circuit and a full-wave center tapped circuit, then i placed a 2200µF 25v capacitor as a filter.. i have an input voltage of 12VAC on both circuits then why is the output voltage increased and become 17VDC?:confused:

hi,
Because the 12V is rated as a rms [root mean square] value.
The 'ac' is a sine wave and the rms value is measured at 0.707 of the peak value of the sinewave.

So if you multiply 12Vrms by 1.414 you get the peak voltage, which is 16.9Vpk.
This is the voltage the 'off load' capacitor charges upto.:)

Do you follow OK.?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back