Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply choices for automotive project

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdeyle

Okay. I am designing a device that will adjust the signals read from a map sensor from a vehicle's engine.

I had some trouble using a 7805 linear regulator with another project, (iPhone charger), the 7805 kept getting hot and going into shutdown. This, I believed to be caused by the fact that the 7805 had to dissipate 4-7W of power through it's case. I did not want to put a heatsink on it since it would be too large.

I solved this problem by purchasing a cheap USB power adapter that put out 5V. I noticed that the internals were of a "switching" variety.

So I set out to design a power supply around a switching regulator for my automotive design.

It is all designed, the gerbers are sent to the fab house, should be in Monday. So I had a thought today to crack open a device that measures and logs different sensors in my car, to see what that designer used for a power supply. Great timing! Should have waited on those gerbers. They used a linear regulator, in d2pak form. I have never noticed this device get excessively warm where the regulator was. I believe this was possibly due to the fact that the copper pour of the pcb is being used as a heatsink.

Due to the fact that I require 12V, analog and digital 5v, 3.3v and -5v sources, it would be more cost effective to use a linear regulator than a switching variety. My question is, if I use linear VRs, attached to the copper layer they should be fine for dissipation, no? Has anyone used linear regulators in a vehicle environment without thermal shutdown?

The power dissipation in a linear regulator is a function of the difference between the input and output voltage and the current taken.

The temperature rise is a function of the power dissipation and the heatsink.

The only place that the choice of regulator comes into this is that it will form part of the heatsink.

Use a switching regulator. If you add windings to the coil, you can get the other voltages from the main regulator, with maybe a low drop regulator for each of the other voltages.

A linear regulator will be only 25% efficient at 12V in and 3.3 V out, so you will get 3 times as much heat in your regulator as in your circuit. -5V is only possible with some sort of switcher.

vehicle power

Watch out for the load dump transient.

@3V0: I have seen alot of hobby circuits use the 7805 for automotive applications, keyword there is "hobby". I am looking for something more robust, as you say for that environment.

@Diver300: I am aware of the dissipation factor and where it comes from.

@Willbe: I have a ST RBO40-40G protecting against load dump and other overvoltage transients, along with reverse voltage issues.

What I was wondering is if anyone has used a linear regulator in one of their projects without thermal shutdown, and if so, what current was being drawn, what was the heatsink they were using, etc.

I have decided to use a switching regulator up front, after the RBO, to regulate the voltage at 12V. The regulator, LTC3780, operates from 4-24V, able to bring the voltage up if it drops below 12V.

After that, I will decide to use either the linear or switching regulators based on the amount of current being drawn by the parts. If the amount is below 250mA, then I don't see an issue with using a TO-263 soldered to the copper.

Like I said, I have seen this in the device that is meant for the automotive environment, and from what I have seen inside, it does not look like there are heavy current hogs inside that device.

Thank you all for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back