Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply 40v 2a

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmen33

Hi

I went to design a 40V 2A power supply to run 3 stepper motor 3A.
i used L298 to deal with motor, the max volt can drive is 50V with 2A " i get this from datasheet L298 is this right? ".

so i went to design this power supply with regulator .

If your steppers are 3A a 2A supply is not going to work. Some thing is going to get hot.

Never run things at their maximum rating if you want them to survive! Use a > 4A supply.

The problem is : if i design a 40v 5a power supply and connect it with 3 L298 and 3 stepper , if one of this stepper run only so the current will be 4 - 5A and will burn the L298 and the stepper .
is this right?

No. Where do you get the '4-5A' figure? You have stated that each stepper is a 3A type.
If each stepper is rated at 3A and you can be sure only one will be driven at any time then a 5A supply (which means the maximum current it can provide is 5A) will happily provide just 3A when one motor is on. If all 3 steppers may be on at the same tiime then your supply needs to be rated at > 9A.

i get it :) .
i think that 40v with 10 a is ok to run all motor.

can u help me with design this power supply , i know that i need transformer , bridge , some cap and regulator .

For a 40V 10A supply your best bet is a SMPS. It will be cheaper and more efficient than a linear type.
The LTSpice simulation program (freeware) is particularly suited to designing SMPS.

BTW, if the L298 is rated at 2A max it is unsuitable for directly driving a stepper which requires 3A; additional buffering, or a different driver chip, would be needed.

Last edited:
I don't have a simple design and I don't have Proteus 7 :(

Your first circuit will give a capacitor voltage of ~ 55V !
Will 25000uF be enough? The ripple voltage will be considerable if you're drawing 9A. I think a voltage regulator would be necessary with that arrangement.
But as I said, a SMPS would be better.

Edit: Re the second circuit, see my post #7 doubts about the L298 suitability for this project.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back