Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supplies for car audio 12V supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnson777717

Hey, its me again! Heheheh.

I've been researching power supplies for car audio. I've seen that most of your higher output watt amplifiers require quite a bit of voltage, both +V and -V.

Now, the approximate 12V power provided by car batteries is a definate limitation to the amount of voltage that can be created using traditional methods. I've seen car audio power supplies up to +-37V. Does anyone know of any power supply schematics that provide a greater output voltage?

Thanks a bunch! :shock: this guy looks cool! :shock:

Johnson777717 said:
Hey, its me again! Heheheh.

I've been researching power supplies for car audio. I've seen that most of your higher output watt amplifiers require quite a bit of voltage, both +V and -V.

Now, the approximate 12V power provided by car batteries is a definate limitation to the amount of voltage that can be created using traditional methods. I've seen car audio power supplies up to +-37V. Does anyone know of any power supply schematics that provide a greater output voltage?

They just use an inverter, a car amplifier will already have this internally. This is why you need massive cables for them, they take huge (and I mean HUGE!) amounts of power.

typicly for big "thumb" a 1/2 farad or greater cap. is used. The amp will convert the 12v to the voltage it needs. What happens is when you hit a base note on the audio it draws a lot more juice then a treble note. So to compensate the energy stored in the cap. will provide the extra power. They are expensive, but no more then building you own power supply. Eother way you still have a battery providing power. Whitch are not too tolerate with big current draws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back