Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power source isolator needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

As many of you know, I'm putting 62 leds in the headliner of my car.
I got to test it out yesterday, and I just discovered that if I use the car battery to power it, whenever I connect my audio source (1000W class D amp) to my circuit, the subs go nuts and start making all sorts of noise.
It's because my VU meter circuit (lm3915) shares the same power source as the amp.
I didnt come accross this problem before because I was using a 120VAC source with 5VDC output.
I'm not positive on the max. current draw. I'd say no more than 2 amps when the circuit is finally done. So is there a way to take care of this problem?

I was thinking that I could use another rechargable battery (I have a battery from my cordless drill in there now). I'd wire up a circuit so that the 2nd battery would only charge when I have the leds shut off. Then when I turn them on, it disconnects the 2nd battery from the regular car power and it works just fine.

Lemme know what you think.

I think, 2A additional load no problem for car battery. Maybe the cause of noise the GND-loop. Try driving the VU-meter input via 1:1 audio transformer. (canibalize it from old pocket-radio or cordless-phone base station)

:? bah I am such an idiot, last night I thought of using a 1:1 transformer, but I didnt even think of putting it on the audio source, I thought I would have to put it on the DC power input which would have involved switching to AC then back.
That should solve my problem.
Thanks a bunch,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back