Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power rating of a 12V dc motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kautilya

hi there.

what could be the possible power rating of a 12V dc motor? or is there any method to find it out? the model is MMI-6S2LA.

i also want to know where can i find datasheets of npn bipolar transistors acting as switching devices.

thanks and regards

kautilya

Connect it to a 12v supply such as a car battery and add an ammeter (in series).
Measure the current.
Now load the motor by trying to stop the shaft, but down't fully stall it.
Now measure the current.

The current_____ (in amps) x 12 = ____watts.

746 watts = 1 horsepower

Last edited:
Find an online catalog of 12v motors.
Plot motor volume vs. current draw on whatever kind of axes gives you a straight line (linear-linear, log-linear, linear-reciprocal, Weibull-linear).
Use your graph to predict current draw.

Unless the current values for full RPM, full load and stalled are provided, there is no way to determine these from a graph.

Unless the current values for full RPM, full load and stalled are provided, there is no way to determine these from a graph.
So the correlation coefficient for
motor volume and current rating
for 12v motors is
0.00?

Actually, since motor heating is proportional to I squared, and motor heat dissipation is proportional to the surface area of the motor, plotting these two for motors with surface areas larger and smaller than your test motor might give you a straight line on linear-linear paper. Then you read off the predicted I squared value for your motor and take the square root.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back