Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power needed for led lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuee

Hi,
I have just purchased these
**broken link removed**

i have also purchased these 2

**broken link removed** - 1w blue
**broken link removed** - 3w cool white

I would like to put 2 3w white and 2 1w blue on these. What power supply would i need to do this.
I do have a few 240 > 12v 6amp power supplies from extra rgb strip lights spare i would like to use.
If i know what each pad is i can work out how many pads i can run per power supply.

thanks

How will you cool those No-Name-Brand tiny LEDs? They must be mounted some-how on some kind of heatsink.
The datasheet will show how to do it but there is no datasheet.

You must design a circuit for the LEDs that limits their current or they will instantly blow up.

Hi.
They will be mounted onto the aluminium heatsink in the first link then i will put them all them onto an alu strip. i understand the limit circuit thing, im guessing i just treat these then like normal leds with forward current and use resistors where necessary. My main question i suppose is to find out if i have to do anything different being power leds as opposed to the standard 3mm leds.

The first link shows a small piece of thin aluminum only 28mm in diameter. It cannot dissipate 4W or 12W. It is used to hold the surface-mounted LEDs.

An aluminum strip makes a lousy heatsink. A REAL heatsink has many fins for a large surface area close to the item needing cooling.

Current-limiting resistors must be selected for each LED since the forward voltage of each LED is different (3.2V to 3.6V). The resistors will get VERY hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back