Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart55

Hi there! I am brand new to this so please forgive.
I would like to verify that a remote water pump is drawing current. I tried threading its N wire through a small toroid with around 50 turns of enamelled copper wire hoping the current drawn by the pump would induce a small current in the winding, enough to light an LED. It gave 25mV... So I made a coil former out of 2 plastic washers and a plastic spacer and wound many hundred turns of 40 SWG (0.12mm) copper wire on. It gives 25mV... I don't want to insert a resistor into the mains lead, so any other ideas? Many thanks, Stuart55.

like to verify that a remote water pump is drawing current.

don't want to insert a resistor into the mains lead
The mains lead is a resistor.

The resistance of #14 AWG is 2.6 milliohms/foot.
At 5A pump current this wire would give 13 millivolts/foot and with enough feet it could be used as a current sensor to give enough voltage drop to turn on a xsistor or certainly enough to activate an opamp comparator.
You need to power this circuitry with a wall 'former or battery.

Last edited:
If you tweek a GFI unit they can be modified to switch on a relay and light up about any size bulb you want!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back