Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

beenuseren

hi,

let us assume a circuit with two DC supplies of 5V and 3V, and a resistor of 1k in series with one another. Also 5V and 3V are opposing one another.

Now the power loss across the resistor is I*I*R. = 4mW.
The question is, will there be any power loss across the 3V DC supply?
I feel there won't be any power loss across 3V supply.

I have attached the circuit.

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 162
Yes, the 3 volt battery will dissipate .006 watts (3 volts * .002 amps). The resister would dissipate .008 watts (2 volts * .002 amps).

If you don't believe them, maybe you will believe the simulator: The 5V battery delivers 10mW, the 3V battery dissipates 6mW, and the resistor dissipates 4mW. Note that the power delivered = the power dissipated. Technically, depending on the battery chemistry, some of the power going into the 3V battery may be charging it, rather than just raising its temperature.

Attachments

• DF1a.png
    DF1a.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back