Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Line Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

neil_m23

Can we use same "Power supply' line for data transmission.
Consider hotel having 50 rooms, now for room service customer will press bell/buzzer whatever is provided.
Now for 50 rooms normally, 50 separate cables/lines will be used.
Instead of that, we can use single line through which 'signal' can be sent to reception and reception will identify which customer/room is calling?

How to do?
One way wud be use different carrier frequencies, for room1 say 10kHz, room2 15kHz,...
With frequency identification we can identify which rooms is calling.

Same concept can be used various sensors. insted of separate line for each sensor, single line (power supply) will serve transmission purpose.

Now in telephones there is pair of cables, giving say 5V dc (i'm from India and i'm not sure of voltage also.)
The same cable which gives 5V DC carries voice information.
So concept is not that new actually.

Does anybody have any idea whatsoever regarding this project/concept ?
Please reply back as soon as possible.

I'm thinkin this as my final yr project. (I'm doing graduation/bachelors in eltrx and telecommunication , its pity despite this branch, i dunno telephone line vtg.!!!! )

Anyway plz reply back.
regards,
Neil.

Send replies to Identical post in General Chat :roll:

Powerline Communications

I live in a rural area and have a rural electric coop. Sometime around the first of the yearthey are supposed to start offering BPOL, Broadband Over Power Line, internet service. I'm not sure that I understand all i know about this new service but it's supposed to be something like this:

There is some kind of an intrface box that goes on the power pole at the meter. I'm not sure how the service actually reaches your house but there is a special "modem" that connects to the computer that connects to the interface box. Both upload and download speeds are the same, but you pick the speed you want for a set price. It's supposed to be up to 100MB/sec [ both ways ].

Needles to say I'm waiting impatiently to give this a try.

I would have to give an unqualified "Yes" to your question about communication over power lines.[/quote]

Seems to me that Radio Shack and plenty of others sold a remote appliance control system based on signals floated over the power line. This might have been 20 yrs ago or more. It would seem that using the power lines to carry digital info would be more useful - probably already being done in situations such as you describe. With that said, if the technology/application were that good I suspect that it would be employed to a much greater degree than it seems to be at present.

BPL is a more modern version. BPL is among several wireless methods being deployed. BPL isn't popular among radio amateurs and shortwave listeners because of the interference issue. According to ARRL website BPL in Penn Yan, NY (close to me) is being removed and will be replaced with "wireless broadband." Not suggesting that the end of BPL is near. Like any other new technology, it will take time to see what works, what doesn't, who wins, who looses. It kind of reminds me of the days when VHS and Beta video were emerging - or when IBM and DEC battled for the PC standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back