Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Genix NiZn Rechargeable AA Cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hello,

I had purchased a set of 4 of these Power Genix cells around August of 2010. I tested the four cells and they looked ok, but then one lost it's ability to hold a charge after only one or two charges. I wrote to the company, they sent me another set of 4 free of charge.

I hadnt used the cells for quite a while and measuring them they were around 1.3 volts. I used them for some small LEDs for a short time period, then didnt use them again for a few months. Now that i go to use them for a small flashlight that only draws about 120ma, they all died fast. Trying to recharge, they "charge" really fast (like in 5 minutes) and that means they are not accepting a charge anymore.

Strange as this sounds, it appears that one cell might be working. It has held it's voltage at around 1.6v for about a week now in an intermittent use in the small flashlight. That's one cell out of 8 cells that works after about 2 years of not using them.

I have also found reviews now on the web that suggest that these cells were all defective. There may have been a quality control issue in manufacturing, so many of them are shipped defective. Most of the reviews all say the same thing, that two cells out of 8 work or something like that, and that in a set of 4 at least one dies really fast. Same thing that happened to me when they were new.

So i am writing this review to caution any potential buyers that there is most likely some kind of defect in manufacturing that causes very early failures in these cells.

Is a class action lawsuit in order here? You be the judge. I was lucky as i only lost a bit over 20 dollars (USD) but i know some other people who even visit this site that have lost much more as they thought the company had a viable product to offer so they invested much more heavily.

If you have any additional information to offer i would like to hear from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back