Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Generating Backpack

Status
Not open for further replies.

destudent

Hey, I am working on fabricating a backpack that can produce energy that can used to power a cell phone battery, GPS, etc. To do this I would have a gear rack that would be moving up and down caused by the suspension of the backpack weight. The problem that arises is that the gear rack turns a pinion gear which is attached to a gear motor, but the motor outputs a positive voltage when the gear up on the pinion gear and negative when it moves down. My question is if there is a chip that anyone knows about that will continuously keep the polarity at a positive voltage? Any comments or advice will be very helpful. Thanks.

Hey, I am working on fabricating a backpack that can produce energy that can used to power a cell phone battery, GPS, etc. To do this I would have a gear rack that would be moving up and down caused by the suspension of the backpack weight. The problem that arises is that the gear rack turns a pinion gear which is attached to a gear motor, but the motor outputs a positive voltage when the gear up on the pinion gear and negative when it moves down. My question is if there is a chip that anyone knows about that will continuously keep the polarity at a positive voltage? Any comments or advice will be very helpful. Thanks.

Just a simple bridge rectifier.

It's a clever idea but I think you would struggle even to get a watt out of it reliably.

You could stick a small solar panel to the top of the backpack and get far more than a watt. Of course that will only happen when it is in the sun, but then the solar backpack will still generate power when you are resting or cooking etc, so its a tradeoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back