Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misterbenn

Hi guys

For my third year university project i think i'm going to look at Baterry power systems with particular atention to failures. The practical side of this will be a series of tests to demonstrate performance of charging/discharging/cyclic and float loading.

At the moment i'm just looking for background material to inculde in my project abstract. I've managed to get an Ipod battery settelment notice to use as an example of comercial failure.
I'm looking for more of the same really, i'm interested in any high profile battery back up or battery powered failures. This could include portable systems or UPS systems.
Even mantenence reports for cyclic systems...

All help welcom. Thanks

Andy

Just another thought, any report on new charging methods would also be welcome... esp any methods that claim to increase battery life or other such wonderful claims!

Thanks again

Perhaps no one can help you.

There again, you probably haven't made your self clear enough.

Also note that, we're happy to help but we will not do all the work for you.

you need to explain a bit more, but is there any chance that you are going to blow up a battery?

Misterbenn said:
Hi guys
I'm looking for more of the same really, i'm interested in any high profile battery back up or battery powered failures. This could include portable systems or UPS systems.
Andy

Another high profile commercial failure was with the faulty laptop batteries that were prone to catch fire. They were in the news a lot about a year ago.

Also, perhaps you could do a comparison between standard batteries and the latest "Low self discharge" hybrid types such as "Eneloop" or "Accupower" etc. which are claimed to have all the benefits of rechargeable batteries and the convenience of Alkaline batteries.

to hero999 and things....
I thought i made it clear i was just looking for tips on background info not acctualy wanting you to do my project! I am mearly asking for any knowlage of battery failures so i can get a technical report on them and use them in my citations.
I need reference to battery failure in order to justify the comercial applications of my project study of seconday cells.

As it happens i already have three refrences, Ipod, one refering to medical equipment failure and also one refering to a non-portable back-up system.

As for battery charging, i've already looked at float, fixed voltage, fixed current, pulsed and burp charging. I simply would like to know if there are any more exotic methods around to use in my study!

TO PICASM

Thanks i will look into your sugestions

PICASM

The enloop battery looks promising, esp for my discharge comparison tests.
I will most likely compair a few of these cells in series to normal NI-MH cells and also a small lead acid battery .

I think this would give the project a well rounded view of battery tech, ranging from portable equipment tech to more substantial UPS and energy storage equipment.

Well my car battery failed a couple of years ago but I don't see how that helps you.

Have you writting off to any battery suppliers asking them about the typical failure modes of different battery chemistries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back