Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the seconday of the transformer has two isolated coils, the inner coil is wrapped on the core is 24V(I assume), and the outer coil is wrapped over the inner coil connected to the capacitor and fuses.

The schematic kinda misleads this, and I'll draw a new one once I measure the voltages on Monday

Note I havn't measured the voltage outputs yet, and yes I prove my teach wrong all the time D:

Last edited:
How are the coils connected in series or parallel?

Please post a good quality photograph or we'll be here all day talking about it.

Hero999: My ferroresonant transformer is used mainly for isolation. There is a variac on the output and I built a bridge rectifier and filter so I can get 0 to 130 volts DC.

Windozeuser: If you have a variable AC supply (variac), change the input voltage +- 10 volts and see if the output follows. I will bet that it doesn't.

if the cap is on the output and it is a large charger with a boost to help crank the engine. could't the cap be to stiffen the voltage when the motor starts to crank?

A starter motor is a very low mili ohms type load which means almost an immidiate short for the cap when the engine is turned over, so i don't think the cap is helping a lot there unless perhaps it is in the Farad range which will mean that it is big and heavy.
The continuous rating of the transformer and rectifier during cranking the engine is the important part.
A starter motor is a series motor and will run on both, AC and DC even it has not got the laminations in the core required to reduce losses on AC.
If the charger puts out 12 Volts DC with a 100 Hz ripple that should give no problems with the starter motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back