Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Factor Regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0kl00n

Hi, everybody.

Currently i doing a power factor regulator. The measuring circuit i use is power factor meter (PFM) by russell kincaid. And the controlling circuit i design myself by using PIC16F877A.

The working of the regulator:
1. Power factor of a load will be measured by PFM then produce the output voltage depend on the load.
2. So i use that variable output voltage to feed into PIC for controlling purpose.

But currently, i faced some problems. What should i use as a load that with different power factor? Beside that, anybody know how is the working of the PFM? I will very appreciate if you guys let me know the working of the PFM or give some comment to my project.

Thanks.

k0kl00n said:
What should i use as a load that with different power factor?

Can't help you much on the rest of your project other than give you some ideas to the above question.

If you are in some colleges or institutes then most probabily they would have something call phase shifter. It is a three phase device which accept main AC three phase input as primary and provide 110V AC secondary, again in three phases. There is a dial wheel which you can turn to shift the phase angle of the secondary voltage with respect to the primary.

If you setup a current from the AC primary as you your load current and use the secondary voltage as your load voltage, you can easily simulate any load from laggin to unity to leading power factor.

For PF = 1, use an incandescent lamp. for PF = 0, use a high Q inductor. For intermediate PF, connect a resistor in series with the inductor. Draw the waveforms for the XOR to understand how it works.

Pfr

hi guys!

I am currently doing a project on a power factor regulator.

Can anyone help me with its circuit diagram, for a 3 phase system.

For intermediate PF, connect a resistor in series with the inductor.
Use a toroidal transformer (the larger the better) with nothing connected to the secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back