Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power dissipation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to drive a MOSFET gate with a transistor coupling like the one on the schematic. To get at least 1.5A to the gate the resistor must be 13R with a 20V power supply. The problem is therefore the power comsumption in the 13R resistor - 30W! What to do?

Attachments

• MOSFET gate driver.PNG
    MOSFET gate driver.PNG
    4.4 KB · Views: 178
Electronics4you said:
I want to drive a MOSFET gate with a transistor coupling like the one on the schematic. To get at least 1.5A to the gate the resistor must be 13R with a 20V power supply. The problem is therefore the power comsumption in the 13R resistor - 30W! What to do?

Well you either use or build a gate driver. You need a second transistor to pull it up instead of a pull up resistor. Usually you only use 12V to drive the gate as many are only 15V ratings.

You do not say what you are trying to do. If you did I might be able to make other suggestions. For instance at high voltage and current IGBTs are much better than FETs...but not at high frequency.

D.

hi e4you,

Why do you want to switch 1.5A into a MOS FET gate ?.

The gate of most FET's is voltage driven.

Regards
EricG

ericgibbs said:
hi e4you,

Why do you want to switch 1.5A into a MOS FET gate ?.

The gate of most FET's is voltage driven.

Don't even go there!!!! :D

It's to charge the gate capacitance quickly, essential if you want fast switching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back