Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Control Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

qtommer

using a microcontroller to control the switching of power on a BS-1363 power strip, I am now considering either using a RELAY or a TRIAC as the method for the power switching . (I'm doing an automated power strip controller via SMS)

I have done it before using a relay and what plainly needs to be done is just sending a Logic HIGH from the microcontroller to turn on the relay which will eventually close the LIVE loop of the AC power source (240VAC,50Hz,13A)

I am now considering the comparison if i now use a TRIAC instead. From what I have researched, I would need to send pulses of trigger signals to the gate in order to turn on the TRIAC. Hence, I'm guessing that this is where PWM would come into play? I guess the advantage of using the TRIAC is that the power consumption would be lower as opposed to the usage of a relay seeing that PWM is used instead of a continuous HIGH direct current.

Is my above assumption correct?

Which of the two methods is more preferable for control of a power strip outlet (AC) from a digital control system (microcontroller). Which would be more ideal and advantageous?

Thanks=)

You can send current continuously to the triac gate to keep it constantly on if you don't want to go all twentyfirst century high tech. The triac (and the loads on an AC power strip) don't care if you used a microsecond pulse at the zero crossing instant, just as long as current was available at the gate right after zero happened.

Why not go with a solid state relay?
Seems like the optimum choice but SSRs get are to pricey for my wallet:)

You can send current continuously to the triac gate to keep it constantly on if you don't want to go all twentyfirst century high tech. The triac (and the loads on an AC power strip) don't care if you used a microsecond pulse at the zero crossing instant, just as long as current was available at the gate right after zero happened.

I found out that using the triac with an opto-isolator (with internal zero crossing circuit) can get the job done as well.. however, to be honest i've never seen a triac in real life and from google images, it looks pretty exposed and dangerous should 240VAC current be flowing thru it( my visual assumption). Is it safer to use a triac or a normal electromechanical relay? what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back