Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power boosting... draining issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBR01

Ok so without going into lengthy detail about the circuit, I'm trying to make my circuit boost the input power. After having problems with the power draining instead of boosting, I figured out that I had the diodes all backwards, :eek: After flipping them all around the power is still draining but very slowly. So I'm very taken back by this and i'm sure its something silly so here is my diagram, please don't laugh too hard when u figure it out lol

Attachments

• My Circuit.jpg
    My Circuit.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 148
The Laws of Thermodynamics guarantee that you cannot boost "POWER"; you can boost voltage (thereby reducing current); or you can boost current (thereby reducing voltage).

Now, within that constraint, what are you trying to get your circuit to do?

Ok, a capacitor charges only once from a dc source and the current through the capacitor goes to zero. Unless something discharges the capacitor, you need a "chopper" to create alternating cycles of charging/discharging. This is done by using an oscillator circuit. Google "Switch Mode Power Supply", "SMPS" or "Boost converter".

Wow, did a quick google on Switch Mode Power Supply and got lots of info. I'll be reading for a while... Thanks Mike!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back