Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

genetica

I need a few opinions
I got the 2 Wharfedale Pro EVP X15 Speakers they are:
300W continues
1200 W Peak
And rated 8 ohm each.

I'd like to build an amplifier for the two of them but cant decide on the specs and type and cant seem to find a decent design?

Any help pls.

Are you mad?

Why do you need this much power?

Those huge and heavy speakers are very sensitive so just a few Watts make them sound loud.
They are designed for high sensitivity and high power handling, so the deep bass and very high frequencies are probably missing.
With high amplifier power and some EQ they could be made to sound great.

About a 10 X 20 Room maybe to perform as a band.

Ooo and to use within a jam room.

And it is full range speakers.

genetica said:
About a 10 X 20 Room maybe to perform as a band.

Not too helpful, as you don't give the units? - feet?, yards?, metres?, chains?.

Ooo and to use within a jam room.

And it is full range speakers.

No problem on that, they are cheap basic PA speakers, but what are you wanting to put through them?, and what do you already have?.

Personally I would suggest something like the Behringer PHM880S, a light and compact 8 channel mixer with 400W + 400W power amplifier (it will provide 200W + 200W into your 8 ohm speakers).

It's what I use for my daugthers band, it does the job well, at relatively little cost, and all in one unit - including two digital effect channels, and capability for seperate FOH and monitors if required.

If you already have a mixing desk?, consider the Behringer power amplifiers, they are high powered, small, cheap, and well respected. Building your own is going to be considerably more expensive than buying one!.

Got a mixer Behringer XENYX 2222FX (Brilliant for recording) amplifiers are highly expensive in South Africa and its good experience too build one our previous one broke. And we won the speakers.

The units are metres, its a place thats full of people, sorry about that.

Well i like QSC amps if u can get ur hands on one :). Behringer seems a budget solution.
If u want to build it urself then check out AV400 design.

hentai said:
Well i like QSC amps if u can get ur hands on one :). Behringer seems a budget solution.

The Behringer power amplifiers seem almost identical to the QSC ones (you can even use the QSC circuits to work on the Behringer ones), I suspect both are probably made (and designed) in the same factory in China?.

The whole point of Behringer is it's budget price, but they also have a reputation for quality and reliability, with the power amplifiers having an excellent reputation for both.

As for the size of room?, I see no problem at all, I've often used my Behringer mixer/amp with a pair of 8 ohm 1x15's in larger rooms than that - even miking the drums through them!.

For building an amplifier you might check https://www.ampslab.com/projects.htm - but be prepared to spend considerably more than buying an amp!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back