Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power amplifier help

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeytree

i need a basic power amplifier capable of supplying 600watts at 6ohm
i dont mind if it is mono or stereo
all help appreciated

monkeytree said:
i need a basic power amplifier capable of supplying 600watts at 6ohm
i dont mind if it is mono or stereo
all help appreciated

6 ohm is a very unusual load?. Speakers are usually 4, 8 or 16 ohm, so what are you trying to do?.

Also, 600W is a VERY high power amplifier, it would cost a LOT to build one, and requires considerable experience and skill. A slight mistake in construction (and I do mean SLIGHT!) could easily destroy all the expensive components.

i have woofers that are defiently 6ohm but the tweeters are 8ohm
600watt is need although it could be on six channels of 100watt

monkeytree said:
i have woofers that are defiently 6ohm but the tweeters are 8ohm
600watt is need although it could be on six channels of 100watt

Perhaps you should give us more details?, such as what you are trying to do?, and what the speakers actually are?.

You've stated a number of conflicting options, firstly wanting a 600W amp, then saying stereo would be OK, then that six channels would be OK - you need to clarify what you have, and what you are wanting to do!.

As I said above, 6 ohm would be very unusual (but not totally unknown), but it is unusual for 6 ohm speakers to be available - they are mostly used in low cost audio gear, to try and push a little higher output spec. Are they actually labelled 6 ohms?, and what power rating do they have? (and what is it actually rated in?).

For amplifier projects, you might look at https://www.ampslab.com/projects.htm for some interesting looking ones.

the speakers i have are;
two 100watt 6.5ohm pioneer
four 70watt 6ohm sony
two 100watt 8ohm sony
two sets of tweeters made of four 5watt 8ohm sony
the use of the amp is for a friends band with the basic requirement
of getting as much noise(of decent quality)from the speakers that
ive got with out destroying them only one stereo input is needed
it only needs onevolume control. :evil:

monkeytree said:
the speakers i have are;
two 100watt 6.5ohm pioneer
four 70watt 6ohm sony
two 100watt 8ohm sony
two sets of tweeters made of four 5watt 8ohm sony
the use of the amp is for a friends band with the basic requirement
of getting as much noise(of decent quality)from the speakers that
ive got with out destroying them only one stereo input is needed
it only needs onevolume control. :evil:

These don't sound like suitable speakers, a PA amp and band usage will destroy then in no time at all! (probably seconds!). I would strongly suggest you get some speakers designed for PA - HiFi speakers (and these are probably only cheap HiFi speakers!) just won't do the job.

new my speaker collection would have cost about £250-£300
but i got them mint condision about £30-£40
arfer having a quick look on the net the cheapest 600watt or 300watt pair
is about £350 +the price of the amp would be to much
so can we just go with ive got six 100watt 8ohm pa speakers
and i need a 600watt amp

monkeytree said:
new my speaker collection would have cost about £250-£300
but i got them mint condision about £30-£40
arfer having a quick look on the net the cheapest 600watt or 300watt pair
is about £350 +the price of the amp would be to much
so can we just go with ive got six 100watt 8ohm pa speakers
and i need a 600watt amp

You can go with any speakers you like, it's your money, but they won't survive.

You certainly don't want anywhere near 600W to feed them, their printed ratings are probably at least double their real ones - I wouldn't like to try and put more than 100-200W through them, and I don't know if they would survive that either!. As well you have the problems of connecting that unusual number of speakers together and maintaining a sensible impedance.

You also have the problems of volume, PA speakers are designed for high volumes and high powers, HiFi speakers are generally designed for relatively low volume and moderate power - they sacrifice efficiency to give better bass response from a smaller driver and cabinet - which is why HiFi amps are often very high power.

The link I posted previously has designs for various high power amplifiers, any of those should be suitable for what you want, but don't be surprised if the speakers all die 8)

Just an extra thought!.

Have you considered buying a ready built power module, and building your own casing for it?. It's probably cheaper (and certainly more likely to work) than building your own. Have a look at the amplifier modules at https://www.bkelec.com/ - their 300W one is only £84.75 inc VAT, or a 200W one is only £67.35 inc. These include the power supply and heatsinks - just wire it and go!.

A frind of mine bought a load of them for PA years back, they sounded great and were reliable.

Just connect all those speakers in parallel. Then the amp won't survive either.
In series they will sound like crap. Boom, boom, no damping at their resonance.

all of them are connected in parllel my sony home cinema 2nd hand has not broken in a year of non stop music it goes 2 poud for my family but i find it very quiet.

monkeytree said:
all of them are connected in parllel my sony home cinema 2nd hand has not broken in a year of non stop music it goes 2 poud for my family but i find it very quiet.

They certainly shouldn't be connected in parallel to a home theatre system?, if so it's not a 'home theatre system' it's only a mono system.

If you've paralleled the eight speakers you listed that gives a combined impedance of just under 1 ohm - this would almost certainly kill almost all amplifiers (unless the volume was kept very low?).

So I'm presuming you've connected six speakers to the six channels of a Dolby 5.1 system?, which is quite correct. If you've paralleled the two 8 ohm Sony speakers, that will give 4 ohms, and again should be fine - most theatre systems are pretty cheap things, and usually feed 4 ohms (often based on cheap car radio amplifers).

You might like to have a look at https://www.colomar.com/Shavano/speaker.html which gives helpful advice on PA speakers - the entire site is very useful!.

I don't mean to try and 'put you down' at all, but you don't appear to have the slightest idea about what you're trying to do, I don't think you've got the slightest chance of building a high power PA amplifier at your current level of experience (it's not a project for beginners!). If you wish to get experienced at electronics, start with simple project and work up - starting at the top will only frustrate you when things don't work, and all your expensive parts destroy themselves.

Hi Monk,
With speakers connected in parallel their impedance as seen by the amplifier is very low. If you turn up the volume to near maximum output then the current might far exceed the amp's spec. If the amp's circuit doesn't limit the excessive current then the amp will be destroyed.
Read its spec for minimum allowed speaker impedance. Maybe 4 ohms which is only two 8-ohm speakers in parallel.

it is a sony str-de315 it is dolby 5.1 but i only use stereo mode for simplicity from specs of the net 100w+100w @ 8ohms or 145w+145w@ 4ohms as for volume usually about 4 or 5 out of 10

it is a sony str-de315 it is dolby 5.1 but i only use stereo mode for simplicity from specs of the net 100w+100w @ 8ohms or 145w+145w@ 4ohms as for volume usually about 4 or 5 out of 10

It is very difficult to determine the power output of an amplifier by the position of its volume control. With a low signal input even at max volume control setting its output power will be low. With a high signal input even at a low volume control setting its output power will be high.

Assuming that it produces its max output power of 145W into 4 ohms with its volume control set to max, since its volume control is probably logarithmic to match your hearing, its power output with the volume control set to half-way will be only 1W to 4W.

With all those speakers in parallel, if you turn it up, you blow it up!

Hi Monkey,
Are you trying to blow-up your brother, Monk? He, he :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back