Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power adapter for GPS logger ....plz HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt007

Hi,

I want to build a Power adapter for USB GPS logger. A little info about the GPS, the GPS logs data when it is connected to USB power source (PC/laptop). The device has built in memory to record the data .I don’t want to carry laptop when I am hiking. According to user manual of the GPS
Power Consumption: < 42mA (1Hz standard version)
Input Voltage: 3.8~8V DC

So my questions are …
1. Is it possible to use a 3.6v cell phone battery( Motorola phone), with a volt regulator or not, to power the device? how long it will last
2. If use a 9v and volt regulator and how long it will last.

If the answer is 1 then how can I find out the + - of a USB cable to power the device or if it is 2 then more work and how to build a power adapter and what kind of volt regulator I can use . Where can I get a volt regulator from NOT from store caz I got lot of broken PC and laptop main boards. I hope anyone who s reading understand my Qs. Thank You very much in advance 

NOTE:I don’t very much abut electronics

Hi, the GPS has an internal voltage regulator. A 9v battery wont suit as 42mA it wont run for long at all. I would use 4x AA battery pack, which is 6v-5v over the life of the batteries which suits fine and pretty good life (guestimate 24+ hours).

You can get a 4x AA battery holder from anywhere for a couple bucks and use a USB socket from one of your junked PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back