Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Powe supply casing Question???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayne

I am making a power supply and want to put in a casing.
now i want to ask which is better casing for it???
1. Metal Case
2. Wood Case

Second thing.
Which is the better way using fan???
1. Throughing air inside the case???
OR
2. Sucking air from inside the case???

Thanks.

Since you mention fans it seems that you expect this supply will get pretty hot? A wooden case is hardly suitable as it can easily catch fire. A metal case is best, but earth it if it has hazardous voltages connected to it.

For fans, it is best to have a grille and fan so that air is drawn through the grille by the fan and the airflow passes over the hot components.

My first question due to Electrical noise, i mean i want to ask that which is the best for reducing electrical noise? and which will minimize the EM radiation ?? A Metalic casing OR A wooden casing??

Power supply

A well earthed metal casing will be the best to reduce electrical and emf noise.
For a fan you can use very well a secondhand 12 volts dc fan from an old computer powersupply.
These are generally very quiet and the speed can easily be controlled by means of a series resistor.
I use one in my 12 volts 6 Amp battery charger at home which i built from scratch.

Really it depends on the project, a wooden case is more suitable for a small UV exposure box because it's easy to work with and a metal case is more suited to an amplifier because it provides screening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back